Meditation is the practice of focusing your attention on a particular thought or object to train attention and awareness. A body scan meditation is a type of meditation which involves paying attention to all the parts of your body and the sensations you feel gradually from feet to head.
Body scan meditation is a great way to practice mindfulness, staying in the moment and understanding how your body is feeling. Body scan meditation is a way of alerting yourself to any tension you may be feeling and then allowing yourself to let go and release it. As a result, you feel lighter, better and more relaxed.
How to practice body scan meditation
- Lie down and get comfortable. When starting a body scan, it’s key that you lie down in a comfortable position. Ensure the temperature of the room is to your liking and there are no distractions.
- Start at your feet. Start the body scan meditation by taking a deep breathe and focusing all your attention on your feet, specifically your toes. Wriggle them a little and notice how your feet are feeling and if there’s any discomfort. As you continue, keep taking a few deep breaths.
- Scan your body. Slowly, start moving your attention up from your feet. Gradually go to your legs, thighs and then your stomach, chest and all the way up to your head. . As you pay attention to them, remember it’s important to stay in the moment with just one part of your body at a time.
- Pay attention to stressful points. Pay attention and focus on parts of your body you know are susceptible to stress. Stress usually manifests in your neck or upper back or legs. Hence, pausing while doing the body scan on those areas to make sure they’re not holding any tension is a great way to overcome stress.
Remember, in case you lose focus and your mind starts to wander while you do the body scan, it’s okay. Slowly bring your attention back to your breath and continue, and then you’ll be able to find your flow.
- Breathe out your tension. Focus on the parts you have identified where you are feeling any tension or discomfort. Take a few deep breaths – as you breathe in, turn all your awareness to those areas. And as you breathe out, visualise them relaxing and the tension slowly easing out
Body scan meditation is a great way of bringing yourself back to balance by lowering your stress and anxiety levels and naturally letting go of any tension. It’s a great way to incorporate mindfulness into your daily life as well. As a result, of body scan meditation your body switches off and you can fall asleep faster. By doing a body scan, you feel relaxed, more energised and physically sharper. In case you’re stressed or anxious, this body scan will help you understand where it is manifesting physically. It’s also a great way to settle your thoughts and an ideal place to start off your meditation journey!
Try out Evolve’s body scan meditation, bring some mindfulness into your day and let go any tension you might be feeling! The Evolve app is now live globally on Android & Apple, click here to try for free!